Friday, December 01, 2006

It's a sad day, part 2

I've resolved not to believe any reports about the new coach at UA until Mal Moore stands behind the podium and announces a name, but it seems that our Spurrier dream is over.

Being the gray minded person that I am, I could make arguments both for and against hiring Spurrier as Alabama's coach. I will say this, however, I am happy that Mal at least thought of hiring one of the greatest college coaches any of us have ever seen.

When it's all said and done, however, I don't know if Spurrier will be mentioned in the same breath as Knute Rockne, Joe Paterno, Bear Bryant, or even Bobby Bowden because (irony or no?) of his penchant for chasing the challenge. His longest coaching stint was a very successful one at Florida, and that's, unfortunately, where we'll always remember the Ol' Ball Coach roaming the sidelines. He's quest for the challenge won't allow him longevity any where.

Alas, good luck, Coach Spurrier.

Alright Bama Fams, in the words of Don Quixote, we must continue:

To dream the impossible dream
To fight the unbeatable foe
To bear with unbearable sorrow
To run where the brave dare not go

To right the unrightable wrong
To love pure and chaste from afar
To try when your arms are too weary
To reach the unreachable star

This is my quest
To follow that star
No matter how hopeless
No matter how far

To fight for the right
Without question or pause
To be willing to march into Hell
For a heavenly cause

And I know if I'll only be true
To this glorious quest
That my heart will lie peaceful and calm
When I'm laid to my rest

And the world will be better for this
That one man, scorned and covered with scars
Still strove with his last ounce of courage
To reach the unreachable star

Lastly, good luck and best wishes to Brandon as he competes (not just participates) in the Memphis Half Marathon this weekend. Run where the brave dare to go, friend.

2 comments:

KBF said...

Do you know the words to that by heart or did you copy and paste from somewhere.

Brandon will be freezing his butt off at 6 a.m. tomorrow morning!

King Conch said...

Cut and paste, without proper credit given to the writer.

Cold weather will make you run faster to the warmth.